Washington, DC – The National Foundation on Fitness, Sports and Nutrition has announced Ike Lawrence Epstein, UFC Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, as their newest member to its Board of Directors. Mr. Epstein was recommended by U.S. Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) and appointed by U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ (HHS) Secretary Sylvia M. Burwell to the congressionally chartered National Foundation.
As the official foundation of the President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition, the National Foundation is the only congressionally chartered nonprofit with the sole focus of helping more Americans be active, play sports, and eat healthy. The Foundation and its Board of Directors seek private donations and partnerships to support programs and initiatives that educate, engage, and empower Americans of all backgrounds and abilities to adopt a healthy lifestyle.
“We are pleased to welcome Mr. Epstein to our team of dedicated Board members. His expertise and passion will be a great asset in supporting our important mission,” says Pat Cunnane, Board Chairman of the National Foundation.
At UFC, Mr. Epstein is an invaluable member of the company’s leadership team, responsible for all worldwide operations – from managing global business strategies to establishing policies that drive company culture and evaluating overall performance and growth. His leadership has helped UFC become one of the fastest growing sports properties in the world. Mr. Epstein has a longstanding personal and professional commitment to promoting healthy lifestyles & sports participation, as he champions efforts that support UFC’s health and safety related research and awareness.
Mr. Epstein attended Vanderbilt University for both Undergraduate and Law School. After earning his law degree, Epstein clerked for a Nevada state judge before joining the law firm, Beckley Singleton, where he represented Top Rank Boxing, and developed an expertise in the fight business.
“Leading a fit lifestyle fueled by appropriate nutrition is important, whether you are stepping into the Octagon or stepping into an office or classroom,” Mr. Epstein remarked. “I am proud to join the Board of the National Foundation on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition in their fight to promote a healthy lifestyle for all Americans.”
Mr. Epstein joins a Board of Directors that features executives from varying aspects of business, media, technology, sports, and philanthropy. Current members include:
- Patrick Cunnane, Chair of Board of Directors; President & CEO, Advanced Sports International
- Tom McMillen, Treasurer of Board of Directors; President & CEO, Division 1A Athletic Directors’ Association
- Jimmy Lynn, Co-Founder & Vice President, Kiswe Mobile
- Patricia (Patti) S. Röckenwagner, Senior Advisor, Advance Vixeid Partners
- Robin Thurston, CEO, Helix
- Catherine Zinn, Chief Client Officer, Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe, LLP
The ex-officio members include:
- Ursula Bauer, PhD, MPH, Director, National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health Promotion, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Thomas Frieden, MD, Director, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Karen DeSalvo, MD, MPH, MSc, Acting Assistant Secretary for Health, HHS
- Shellie Pfohl, MS, Executive Director, President’s Council on Fitness, Sports & Nutrition
- Gary H. Gibbons, MD, Director, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health